Saturday, September 6, 2014

Review: "Right Kind of Wrong" by Chelsea Fine


Sometimes wrong can feel oh so right . . . Jenna Lacombe needs complete control, whether it’s in the streets . . . or between the sheets. So when she sets out on a solo road trip to visit her family in New Orleans, she’s beyond annoyed that the infuriatingly sexy Jack Oliver wants to hitch a ride with her. Ever since they shared a wild night together last year, he’s been trying to strip away her defenses one by one. He claims he’s just coming along to keep her safe-but what’s not safe for her is prolonged exposure to the tattooed hottie. Jack can’t get Jenna out from under his skin. She makes him feel alive again after his old life nearly destroyed him-and losing her is not an option. Now Jack’s troubles are catching up to him, and he’s forced to return to his hometown in Louisiana. But when his secrets put them both in harm’s way, Jenna will have to figure out how far she’s willing to let love in . . . and how much she already has.
Thank you to Netgalley and the publisher for allowing me to read and review an ARC of this book.

Once again, I'm left feeling as though I read a really mediocre New Adult novel.  There's not a lot here that stands out to make this a memorable read, and that's why I'm writing this review immediately after finishing "Right Kind of Wrong", because I'm afraid if I stall a day or two, I will forget all about it.

The story is told in an alternating dual point of view style, which seems to be the direction a lot of New Adult authors are taking.  It worked here for me because we get to see what makes both Jack and Jenna tick.  Jenna was interesting in that she's the first female MC I've read in this genre that needs and wants to be in complete control at all times, even during sex, which is a refreshing change from the more standard "submissive" types that are all the rage right now.  However, what makes Jenna strong also makes her annoying at times.  She goes on and on in her inner dialogue about how she cares for Jack, how he makes her happy, how she may even love him, but she can't be with him because he's not a part of her "plan".  Yeah, it gets a bit tiring.  Jack, on the other hand, is pretty up front with his feelings for Jenna.  Early on, we find out that he wants more from her, it's just a matter of convincing her she wants the same.

All of this is well and good, until Jack and Jenna get mixed up in this rather ridiculous plot involving Jack's missing brother and some shady characters from Jack's nefarious past.  It's all a bit over the top, and struck me as silly, especially with how everything was quickly and neatly tied up in the end.  I wasn't buying it at all!  I did, however, enjoy meeting Jack's and Jenna's families - although they were quite over the top, too, I appreciated the comic relief provided by their involvement in the story.  This aspect of the story was more cute than ridiculous, in my opinion.

So while I enjoyed reading "Right Kind of Wrong" for the most part, and while I think Chelsea Fine's writing has a ton of potential, I would only recommend this book if you're looking for something light and easy and aren't too worried about a memorable plot.

My rating: 3 stars


No comments:

Post a Comment