Monday, January 26, 2015

Review: "We Should Hang Out Sometime" by Josh Sundquist

A bright, poignant, and deeply funny autobiographical account of coming of age as an amputee cancer survivor, from Josh Sundquist: Paralympic ski racer, YouTube star, and motivational speaker. Josh Sundquist only ever had one girlfriend. For twenty-three hours. In eighth grade. Why was Josh still single? To find out, he tracked down the girls he had tried to date and asked them straight up: What went wrong? The results of Josh's semiscientific, wholly hilarious investigation are captured here. From a disastrous Putt-Putt date involving a backward prosthetic foot, to his introduction to CFD (Close Fast Dancing), to a misguided "grand gesture" at a Miss America pageant, this story is about looking for love--or at least a girlfriend--in all the wrong places.
Thank you to Little, Brown Books for Young Readers via Netgalley for the review copy of this book.

Did I like this book?

I loved this book!  And I kind of fell in love with the author, too, so Josh Sundquist, if you're out there somewhere reading this and you wanna, you know, hang out sometime, I would totally be up for that!

All joking aside, I think this is a fantastic book that I will surely remember for a long time, and I'll definitely be recommending it to my daughter for when she's a bit older.  I only wish I could convince my son to read it - he's not much of a reader these days, unfortunately- as it would offer him some good advice, especially in the area of "what not to do" in certain social situations.

The writing was fantastic, pulling me in from the first page.  I remember reading this while on the elliptical at the gym and hoping the lady beside me didn't notice my snort laugh- yeah, it was that funny!  

Will you like this book?

I can't think of a reason why anyone would NOT like this book!  My only complaint is that I wanted more, especially at the end.  I know this is a memoir and you can't really change the ending of a true story, but I just needed a more detailed resolution.  Seriously though, that is it, that's my only (teeny tiny) problem.  Highly recommended!

Will I read more by this author?

I guess it depends on what else Josh Sundquist decides to write.  But yeah, if the topic is one I'm interested in, I would absolutely read more by him!

My rating:

 

No comments:

Post a Comment