Sunday, January 18, 2015

Review: "Bad Romeo" by Leisa Rayven


When Cassie Taylor met Ethan Holt at acting school, sparks flew. She was the good girl actress. He was the bad boy about campus. But one fated casting choice for Romeo and Juliet changed it all. Like the characters they were playing, Cassie and Ethan's romance seemed destined. Until he broke her heart and betrayed her trust. Now the A-list heartthrob is back in her life and turning her world around. One touch at a time. Cast as romantic leads once again, they're forced to confront raw memories of the heartbreaking lows and pulse-pounding highs of their secret college affair. But they'll also discover that people who rub each other the wrong way often make the best sparks.

Thank you to St. Martin's Press via Netgalley for the free review copy!

Did I like this book?:

You know, I was absolutely loving this book until very close to the end.  I loved both Cassie and Ethan - Cassie was just hilarious at times, being the horniest virgin I've ever seen, and Ethan was that perfect mix of arrogant and vulnerable that made him oh so intriguing. The tension and angst between them was written so well, and I was pulled into their story from the first page.  But then, things started to go on too long, and it felt like their relationship wasn't really moving ahead, and then ugh!  The book ended and I realized there's a sequel!!!  I felt like throwing my book across the room, that's how frustrated I was!  I just feel like this book could have been written as a standalone, and I would have been SO much happier.

The story is told from Cassie's point of view, but in three different ways.  There's the current time line, then there's the time line from six years ago, and then there's some diary entries from six years ago as well.  The three are told alternately, and if this sounds like a bit of overkill, you're probably right.  Something would happen six years ago, and then a similar event would occur in the present tense, and it just got a bit redundant.  Even so, I enjoyed the slow reveal of some of the details up until the very end, when I felt like the entire read was completely pointless.

Will you like this book? 

I'm not sure.  Maybe if you go into this one knowing that there is a sequel, you won't be expecting anything to be resolved and you will enjoy it.  If you enjoy tension and angst to the extreme, you might like this book.  I don't feel I can say either yay or nay as far as this one is concerned.

Will I read more from this author?:

I'm so turned off at this point that I don't think I'll read more of this series.  Then again, time will pass and I may change my mind.  I do, however, enjoy Rayven's writing, so I think I would like to read more from her, as long as I know going in whether I'll be reading part one of a series or a standalone. 

My rating:  3 stars!

No comments:

Post a Comment