Friday, December 12, 2014

Review: "Dangerous Creatures" by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl

A new series returns to the world of Beautiful Creatures. Some loves are cursed...others are dangerous. Ridley Duchannes will be the first to tell you that she's a bad girl. She's Dark. She's a Siren. You can never trust her, or even yourself when she's around. Lucky for her, Wesley "Link" Lincoln can never seem to remember that; quarter Incubus or not, his heart is Mortal when it comes to Ridley. When Link heads to New York City to start a music career, Ridley goes along for the ride-and she has her own reasons. As if leaving small-town Gatlin for the big city, trying to form a band, and surviving life with a partially reformed Siren isn't hard enough already, Link soon learns he has a price on his head that no Caster or Mortal can ever pay. Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl, the #1 New York Times bestselling coauthors of Beautiful Creatures, are back and casting another magical spell. Their signature mixture of mystery, suspense, and romance, along with a dash of fun and danger, will pull fans in and leave them begging for more.

Thank you to Little, Brown Books for Young Readers via Netgalley for the free review copy of this book!

Did I like this book?

I don't really know what to say about this book.  I haven't read the "Beautiful Creatures" series, so I had no previous emotional investment in these characters at all- I wonder if that negatively affected my reading experience?  I'm going to say yes.

The book starts off right away with Ridley and Link saying goodbye to the four others of their group.  Immediately I was confused because I didn't know who was what kind of supernatural or what their powers were or anything.  Maybe I should have stopped reading right there, but I persevered, and things eventually became a bit more clear.

Ridley is an interesting character.  She's bitchy and mouthy, but I rather enjoyed her feistiness.  Link, on the other hand, kind of annoyed me. I think he's supposed to come off all funny and sweet, maybe quirky, but I think I would smack him upside the head if I had to put up with him for any length of time.  The real surprise here was Lennox Gates - I kind of liked him and found myself rooting for him from the start, even though he's the villain - or is he?  Anyhow, I kept hoping Ridley would ditch Link and hook up with Lennox, although I don't think that was the authors' intention.  Whatever.  Honestly, my feelings about this love triangle lean heavily towards ambivalence - I don't care too much which guy Ridley ends up with, or even if she ends up with neither of them.  Now if she ended up with both...that could be interesting! But we are talking YA here, so the chances of that happening are pretty slim.

Will you like this book?

I suppose if you've read the "Beautiful Creatures" series and liked it, you might enjoy "Dangerous Creatures" as well.  If you haven't read the first series, however, I wouldn't recommend this one- you'll be as lost as I was.

Will I read more from these authors?

After reading "Dangerous Creatures", I've decided that I'm not interested in reading more of this series or the "Beautiful Creatures" series.  They're just not really my thing. However, I might still be inclined to read books from other series by Garcia or Stohl, depending on if the synopsis intrigues me.  

My rating:

No comments:

Post a Comment