Friday, October 3, 2014

Review: "Sacrifice" by Brigid Kemmerer


Earth. Fire. Air. Water. One misstep and they lose it all. For the last time. Michael Merrick understands pressure. He's the only parent his three brothers have had for years. His power to control Earth could kill someone if he miscalculates. Now an Elemental Guide has it in for his family, and he's all that stands in the way. His girlfriend, Hannah, understands pressure too. She's got a child of her own, and a job as a firefighter that could put her life in danger at any moment. But there are people who have had enough of Michael's defiance, his family's 'bad luck'. Before he knows it, Michael's enemies have turned into the Merricks' enemies, and they're armed for war. They're not interested in surrender. But Michael isn't the white flag type anyway. Everything is set for the final showdown. Four elements, one family. Will they hold together, or be torn apart?
Thanks to Netgalley and Kensington Books for allowing me to read and review an ARC of this book.

I have really enjoyed reading all of the books in the Elemental series - it is probably my favourite YA paranormal series.  But having said that, "Sacrifice" is definitely not my favourite book of the five.  

In "Sacrifice", we finally get Michael's story.  I was really looking forward to Michael's point of view - being that he's in his twenties, I thought there would be some super steamy scenes between him and Hannah.  Alas, my dreams were not even close to realized in "Sacrifice".  Honestly, the two of them barely spoke - most of their communication was through texts, and very brief ones at that.  I was also hoping to see a lot more of Michael's brothers, Nick, Gabriel, and Chris, than what was delivered here, too.  I did get to see some more of Hunter, Adam, and Tyler, which was great, but as for the girls we got to meet in the first four books of the series?  They barely get a mention.  (I think Quinn's name was brought up once, and I was watching for more of her because despite all her flaws, I have a bit of a soft spot for her.)  This aspect of the book really disappointed me.  I really needed more from everyone, and I didn't get it, and that sucked!

Hannah and Michael themselves as characters are pretty great.  Kemmerer writes them in such a way that they seem real, like people you might know and hang out with in real life.  I enjoyed getting a view into their thoughts and feelings, but again, I wanted more.  I NEEDED more, from both of them and from their relationship.  I never felt all those gushy, angsty feelings I felt with the other books in the series.  Like, if Hannah had decided that, yeah, maybe she should just move on from Michael and date her coworker, Irish, I would not have been devastated with that decision.  And I should NOT feel that way, at all!

Which brings me to my lack of feelings when it came to the big EVENT.  You know, the climax of the book.  An event which should have had me in tears left me kind of confused.  Flummoxed.  It happened, and I thought it was a joke, but then the book ended.  Done.  Fini.  Huh?  That can't be it?  Sorry folks, that's all she wrote.  

So yeah, I was disappointed overall.  But, if you're a fan of this series, you definitely still need to read this book.  Even if you end up disappointed like I was, you still need to read it just so you know what happens to this amazing family of fictional boys.  I still love them, no matter what! P.S.- wouldn't this make a fabulous TV series?

My rating: 3 stars




No comments:

Post a Comment