Monday, June 30, 2014

Review: "Best Kind of Broken" by Chelsea Fine


Pixie and Levi haven't spoken in nearly a year when they find themselves working―and living―at the same inn in the middle of nowhere. Once upon a time, they were childhood friends. But that was before everything went to hell. And now things are... awkward. All they want to do is avoid each other, and their past, for as long as possible. But now that they're forced to share a bathroom, and therefore a shower, keeping their distance from one another becomes less difficult than keeping their hands off each other. Welcome to the hallway of awkward tension and sexual frustration, folks. Get comfy. It’s going to be a long summer.








Thank you to Netgalley and Forever (Grand Central Publishing) for allowing me to read and review an ARC of this book.

I think I was expecting more from this book because it ended up feeling very mediocre to me.  Either that, or I've just been reading too many of the same type of book lately and I've hit a bit of a slump.

In "Best Kind of Broken", we have Pixie and Levi, and they're both quite likable.  We get the sense early on that they have some history between them, and I liked how that history unfolded in flashbacks from both characters.  We also know that something happened almost a year ago that drove a wedge between them, and they haven't spoken to each other since.  That is, until they both end up working and living at Pixie's aunt's Inn.  I enjoyed the immature back and forth between Pixie and Levi at the beginning of the book.  Things started off at a good pace, and I was really interested in finding out what the big event was that had torn these two apart.

I think where things started to fizzle was when all was revealed.  I started to get bored of Pixie and Levi constantly blaming themselves for what had happened.  I also got tired of many of their interactions leading to...nothing!  That was so frustrating!  Anyway, when all is said and done, I liked some aspects of this book but not others, leading to a rating smack dab in the middle.

My rating: 2.5 stars





No comments:

Post a Comment