Friday, December 27, 2013

Review: "Out of Time" by Jen McLaughlin


Desperate to keep him... I've finally gotten everything I ever wanted: love, freedom, happiness, and, most importantly, Finn. Our love is everything I expected it to be and more. We've finally found each other, but the world seems determined to tear us apart. We thought my father was the only obstacle between us, but now it's the military. With Finn’s departure looming, we’re squeezing in every moment together before we run out of time. Trying to make every moment count… Being Carrie’s bodyguard was one thing. Being her boyfriend is another. Every day she’s mine is a day the sun shines in my life. Yet our time together is running out. Her father will never think a tattooed Marine will be good enough, so I’ll do whatever it takes to be worthy of her love. But the road will take me away from the girl who makes me feel alive--the girl I can't live without. Time only gets us so far...


Thank you to InkSlinger PR and the author for allowing me to review an ARC of this title.

This is actually the second book in the "Out of Line" series, the first being "Out of Line", and Jen McLaughlin has a new fan in me after reading these two books back to back!  

I absolutely LOVE Finn and Carrie - they are everything you could want in a NA Romance couple!  They have insane chemistry, but one of my favourite things about them both is that they like to have fun.  We get to see them motorbiking, surfing, and rock climbing together, but they even have fun watching movies and working at the soup kitchen.  We get to see Finn change radically through the course of these two books, from a skeptic to a believer, and I just have to laugh every time he admits his shock at becoming a total sap for Carrie.  We get to see some growth in Carrie, too.  Although her stubbornness and kindness remain static, she becomes more accepting of people (her roommate Marie, in particular) and less tolerant of her parents' control of her life.  

Although the pacing of "Out of Line" kept me reading without pause and engrossed completely in the plot, I found myself slogging through "Out of Time" a bit more.  I think my main complaint with this installment is that there wasn't much of a plot, and that things didn't really start to get hopping until past the three-quarter mark.  I just wish there was more action overall.  

If you are a New Adult fan and haven't read anything by Jen McLaughlin before, I suggest you get your butt in gear and go buy both these books, right now!  

My Rating:  ("Out of Line" - 4 stars, "Out of Time" - 3 stars)

No comments:

Post a Comment